South Jersey Cultural Alliance Seeks Executive Director
South Jersey Cultural Alliance (SJCA), a 501(c)3 not-for-profit member-supported organization devoted to building the capacity and visibility of its members, is seeking a new Executive Director who can provide vision and leadership as the SJCA commits itself to a new two-year strategic plan focusing on the issues of program relevancy, visibility, governance, partnerships, sustainability and equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Mission: The mission of SJCA is to strengthen arts, culture, and history organizations and independent artists within New Jersey’s eight southern counties through connection, collaboration, advocacy, education, and resource development.
SJCA envisions a region where individuals of all ages and backgrounds are engaged and enriched through the arts, history, and culture, of South Jersey and where communities prosper through a creative economy.
Position: Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for SJCA’s staff, programs, and execution of its mission and vision. The Executive Director serves as the organizational spokesperson communicating the public value of the arts, history, and cultural experiences; organizes and directs activities through staff; and acts as the liaison between staff and Board of Directors, as well as SJCA and its community partners. SJCA’s executive offices are currently located in Hammonton, NJ but will move to Galloway, NJ on September 1, 2021.
- Enable the Board of Directors to fulfill its governance function. Working in collaboration with the President of the Board and Committee Chairs, assure Board committees are adequately composed and meet regularly as mandated and provide staff support.
• Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board that ensures open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic and impact performance goals against agreed-upon milestones.
• In partnership with the Governance Committee, help build a diverse and inclusive Board representative of the wider community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Plan and implement fundraising by aggressively seeking new corporate and foundation support, maintaining relationships with existing and new donors, and represent SJCA in meetings with diverse funding sources.
- Proven superior grant writing and grant management experience, including government and private foundation grants.
• Develop strategies to increase membership, earned and contributed income on all levels.
- Responsible for staff oversight and related human resources function following authorized personnel policies and procedures that conform to current laws and regulations.
• Refine and implement the Strategic Plan while ensuring that the staffing and annual organizational priorities are aligned with SJCA’s core mission.
• Develop annual operating budget aligned with Strategic Plan and core mission for Board approval.
• Prudently manage resources within budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
Marketing and Messaging
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for the value of the arts, history, and cultural experiences in New Jersey, and particularly Southern New Jersey, in public and private sectors.
• Follow available research as well as direct original research related to trends or other factors that support messaging and disseminate results.
• Develop clear and comprehensive multi-year marketing/messaging campaign to promote member programs and services, as well as those offered directly by SJCA, through creative use of social media, electronic and traditional messaging.
- Develop and routinely disseminate media communications, alone or with staff support, to bolster the visibility of SJCA and its members through free press opportunities.
• Manage and expand partnerships in relevant sectors.
Institutional Planning and Collaboration
- In collaboration with the President of the Board and Committee Chairs, contribute to overall long and short-term strategic planning, setting annual program and budget goals.
• Serve ex-officio on relevant Board of Directors Committees.
• Foster an environment in which SJCA members from the arts, history, and cultural experiences can thrive through programs that advance organizational capacity and promote collaboration between each other, SJCA partners, and innovative partners, including, but not limited to use of partner services, such as those of Discover Jersey Arts (DJA), a collaborative project with the New Jersey State Council on the Arts (NJSCA); the New Jersey Arts Education Partnership (NJAEP); county and local arts and cultural agencies; and other discipline-based organizations.
- Reliable transportation required. Routine travel around the State of New Jersey, with periodic travel to and from events supporting cultural tourism in adjacent states.
Qualifications: All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Arts degree in a related field; an advanced degree in public administration is a plus.
- Proven success in a managerial role in an arts, history, or cultural enterprise.
- Proven successful fund-raising experience.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with proven ability to cultivate board member relationships.
- A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills, including strong written and verbal communication skills, marketing and public relations experience, and ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to inspire and coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
Interested candidates may apply with formal cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references no later than September 1, 2021. Salary range: $65,000-$70,000. Please direct all communications regarding this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly DO NOT contact the SJCA offices directly about this employment opportunity.
The South Jersey Cultural Alliance (SJCA) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with SJCA is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status.